Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Wishing you a Bergdorf Holiday

I've had every career aspiration known to man. When I was in elementary school I wanted to be a paleontologist. When it was announced that Christa McAuliffe was going to be the first non-astronaut in space, I took that as a sign that I should join the space program. Doctor, engineer, attorney, film maker, naval officer, train conductor. And for a while when I first moved to New York City many years ago, I thought I was destined to be a window dresser. I fantasized about working into the wee hours of the morning, creation works of art for all of New York to see the next morning. The movie Mannequin was a tiny bit too real for me.

Have you been to the display windows at Bergdorf Goodman? If you live in New York City, I would suggest that you stop reading this post and run over there right now. 5th Avenue and 57th Street. They lush, stunning, artful displays. The best in the city, and I can't believe they haven't gotten highlighted more often in the "window gazing" guides published in NYC publications. During my window dresser career aspiration phase, I would sometimes go by there just to stare at the windows, make notes and drawings of the displays, and then imagine what I might do differently. I went into the store once - this was a bad idea. No one even spoke to me; clearly I didn't belong there, and everyone knew it. I rode the escalator all the way to the top, turned around, and went back out the door to the windows. I really should have stopped there.

Don't let the snootiness of the store staff dissuade you from seeing the windows. They are a spectacle. And if you're outside of NYC, never fear. I've posted photos of this year's displays on my photoblog at : http://www.flickr.com/photos/21231722@N03/sets/72157603297522599/. And they're so fabulous and the company takes such pride in them that they have a dedicated website with archives - http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/template/catB7.jhtml?itemId=cat243842&parentId=cat243864&masterId=cat000006&_requestid=85688.

The greatest accomplishment of the windows - they bring a sense of magic to the holidays. And couldn't we all use a little more magic for a while?

No comments: