Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Apple Sisters

A few weeks agao, I wrote about meeting Bob McClure as he was selling his homemade pickles (http://www.mcclurespickles.com/) at a charity event I attended. Last night, Bob invited me to see a variety show he was in at the People's Improv Theatre (PIT) on West 29th Street. Bob was a part of The Apple Sisters variety show. And for those of you who missed the show, I would suggest logging in to their myspace page, www.myspace.com/theapplesisters so you are sure to catch their next act. I was laughing for a full hour at the comedy act these women put together.

I spent about 5 years working if profesisonal theatre management for Broadway shows and national tours. I left the business largely because I felt uninspired, though I have continued to attend shows whenever I can. The Apple Sisters is one of the best acts I have seen in a very long time. To be sure the show is not without its glitches, though the energy and spontaneity these gals have makes the glitches part of the fun. You won't find polished choreography or perfect pitch in the songs - you'll find something much better. Humor, warmth, and a very talented trio of writers. Their creativity will make you wonder why we haven't yet heard more about these women - I have no doubt that large-scale success is on the way.

Also, if there's an inspiring improv comic inside of you just waiting to get in on the act, The PIT offers classes, workshops, and tons of events. Most of the shows cost $5 - $8 per ticket - so much laugh for the buck that you can't afford to pass it by. http://www.thepit-nyc.com/

No comments: