Saturday, December 8, 2007

Bank fees

Just a short rant on the ATM system in this country. I recently went to dinner with my friend, Brooke. The restaurant only takes cash so Brooke paid as I had only plastic and then we stopped at an ATM so I could pay her back. The ATM itself charged me $2.50 and then my own bank charged me another $2. (There aren't any branches of my bank in the neighborhood where we were eating.)

I found this extremely annoying. This is my money and I'm being charged to withdraw it by my own bank. (I'm fine with the ATM at a bank I don't bank at charging me a fee - I'm using a service they're providing and they get no benefit otherwise because they don't house my money.) Worse than that, my minimum balance is very high so a good chunk of my money is always tied up to keep from paying a monthly fee. I wonder when a bank will finally get that customers deserve to be treated with a higher level of concern.

1 comment:

brohes said...

"I wonder when a bank will finally get that customers deserve to be treated with a higher level of concern."

probably when they reach the end of the line and realize that there are no more customers. in other words.. probably never. I do have the fees for ATM usage. I would like to see a report of how much money banks make just from those fees alone. I'll let you know if I find one, as I'm sure it will be interesting.