Monday, December 31, 2007

Looking back

"I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.
~ Edna Mode, The Incredibles

After much anticipation, the 31st of December has arrived. And the questions ensue. "What resolutions are you making?" "Do you have big plans for New Year's?" "How did you feel about 2007?" "What do you think will happen in 2008?"

The quote from Edna Mode seems very timely and the perfect answer to just about any question you may get as we turn the page on the calendar in a matter of hours. I envy people who don't look back. I look back obsessively, searching for patterns, regretting things I've done or said, or didn't say or do that perhaps I should have. I try to imagine where I was and what I was doing exactly one year ago. Who was I with? What was I hoping for?

I know that many people say they don't believe in resolutions, or they come up with a new name for "resolution" to make it seems less ominous. I make resolutions, and I'm glad I make them and most of the time I've kept them. They give me some direction, a goal, something to shoot for that requires my commitment in some measure. Resolutions are personal creations that determine how we'd like to conduct our lives in the 365 days ahead. They are cause for celebration, not despair.

This year, I'm making a few simple ones. One of them is inspired my Ms. Mode. 2007, for me, was a year of not looking back. I graduated, launched into a new career in a "new" city, and put myself out there. I gave up thinking about old boyfriends and old friends that had faded away, often for the best. I cultivated happiness in every area of my life, and went about weeding those pesky things in my life that detracted from joy. I embraced the now.

So in 2008, I am committed to continuing that train of thought. I am making every effort to look forward, head up, eyes wide, ears open because all we've got is the now, and I don't want to miss a moment of it.

The above photo can be found on: http://www.allmoviezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/incredibles.jpg

No comments: