Thursday, January 3, 2008

Tradition!

While I practice traditions in so many areas of my lives, I find that as I get older I am more reluctant to make any new ones of my own. I adopt them from family and friends, and many of them relate back to my childhood. I think of their practice as a way to hold on to happy memories and people that have passed on. Traditions preserve history.

I came across a blog post by Andrea Leigh on the Amazon Daily Blog about the tradition of eating food in the shape of a ring to celebrate the New Year. It is believed by many cultures that this will bring good luck as it symbolizes "coming full circle". The Dutch in their forever playful outlook on life feel that donut eating is the best way to "ring" in the New Year. What a marvelous way to take a tradition and personalize it. And who am I to argue? Boston Cream, anyone?

For Andrea Leigh's post, visit http://www.aldenteblog.com/2008/01/happy-new-year.html

No comments: