Sunday, January 6, 2008

Welcome to the World, Baby Girl

Yesterday we welcomed the newest edition to our family. My sister, Weez, and brother-in-law, Kyle, had their first child - a baby girl. Miss Lorelei arrived to us yesterday afternoon around 3:30pm at 6 pounds, 11 ounces, 19.5 inches long.

I have been an aunt twice before - my brother has two children, now 9 and 11. At first, I couldn't explain why this time around it is more exciting. Maybe because I am in a different phase of my life. Maybe it's because there is this inexplicable link between sisters. Maybe it's because I couldn't stand my brother's wife, and love my brother-in-law. Could be because Lorelei is named after mine and Weez's favorite sitcom of all-time: The Gilmore Girls.

And then I thought some more about a comment a friend of mine made when I told her that my sister found out she was having a girl. "There is some instinct that takes over when a sister has a little girl. It's as if she is your little girl, too." You invite her into the sisterhood, you bring her into the fold. We welcome another strong warrior heart.

No comments: