Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A Cartoon a Day to Chase the Blues Away

February can bring out the blues in all of us. Yesterday I went hoem a bit early with a massive headache - the perfect storm of gloomy weather, flourescent lights, and 8 hours toiling away in front of a computer screen. I'm lucky that an enormous part of my job requires me to read close to 100 news sources every day - from newspapers to blogs to magazine to trade journals, and many of them contain creative content.

One of my favorite daily checks is the blog created by New Yorker cartoonists. I wish I could draw well, or rather, I wish it didn't take me so long to draw well. I long to be one of those people who easily takes ink to paper to draft up a piece of witty genius in a matter of minutes. Everyone's got to have a goal to reach for, right?

Even though it's so foggy out right now that I can't even see the lake that's only a few hundred feet from me, I'm smiling because of the cartoonists over at The New Yorker. This month, the New Yorker Cartoonist blog is features Michael Maslin. I love the honesty and simplicity of his cartoons and the stories they present. Check him out at http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonists

No comments: