Friday, March 7, 2008

Messages out to the world

“One that would have the fruit must climb the tree.” ~ Thomas Fuller

I've been dating a nice guy for about two months - my first foray into match.com. Last night we decided to go our own ways and while I was a bit sad, there was a part of me that was also excited. I learned a lot from this very briefing relationship: one thing being how much I've grown emotionally in the last year, and the second thing being that putting out into the world what you'd like back in return is a very healthy and helpful thing to do. My friend, Steve, is grateful that I have now turned the corner to stop dating jerks - he's grown a bit tired of hearing about them - rightfully so. There's something to be said for growing up.

So while this guy didn't have the creative and adventurous side I was looking for, I learned how very important those two things are to me. My sweet friend, Katie, said that this world needs my creativity. And she's right - it needs everyone's creativity. It needs everyone to be exactly who they are and I need someone who not only nurtures that creativity in me, but also someone who has his own creative work going on that I can nurture in him.

I have found in the past few weeks that as I spent more time with him, my writing suffered, as this blog shows. He didn't inspire any kind of narrative in me. And I found I couldn't share any of my creative work with him. He would listen politely, because he is very polite, though couldn't reciprocate in any way.

Last night for a bit, I felt frustrated that it took me a few months to realize this fact, though I have to admit that the only way to know if the fruit is the right fruit for us, we must, as Thomas Fuller says, make the climb and check it out. No harm done at all; we can always climb back down and walk on to another tree that appears to hold more promise.

The above photo can be found at: http://www.avonk.com/images/Lemon%20tree.bmp

No comments: