Monday, July 28, 2008

The Wisdom of Crowds on Apple Forums

At the outset, I would like to be honest that I love the Apple Store and the Geniuses that work there. Truly. I'd be interseted in marrying one. I get fantastic service every time I walk in the door, they're kind, understanding, and go out of their way to be helpful. Plus, they have t-shirts with funny sayings on them.

I took my Macbook into the store on 5th Avenue on Sunday because I couldn't get my iWeb-designed website to open on Internet Explorer. At the Genius Bar, I was told that's just the way it goes - Internet Explorer can't read iWeb properly; it's iWeb illiterate. I walked away feeling very frustrated and upset by all of this - I bought my Macbook expressly for the purpose of easily creating a website in iWeb and uploading it to my own URL. Now, it appeared my efforts were for naught.

My friend, Ken, a fellow Mac lover, suggested I try the on-line forums. I was hesitant. I mean, who knows more than one of Apple's Geniuses at one of their premiere stores? Well, it turns out that a lot of people are Geniuses in their own right, and they love posting advice and tips to those forums. One in particular had the exact same problem I was having and after much fiddling found an easy fix for it. My pictures had a reflection and shadow that I chose for stylistic purposes. Turns out that the code that creates those edits in iWeb makes Internet Explorer choke. I removed the reflection and shadow from each picture and now the pages load perfectly. My website was saved! All by the kindness of a stranger who posted to one of the forums.

Geniuses are everywhere...


Dan said...

So, are you going back to tell this to the Geniuses at the MAC Store? This might be something they would want to know.

Christa said...

Hi Dan,
I called the store and was on hold forever, and then I looked for an email address but to no avail! So, I am going to go back over there in person and see if I can get someone to listen to me. :)