Monday, August 18, 2008

Public Transportation and Old Friends

On Sunday I drove to East Haven, Connecticut - my last drive in my car. I took it to Carmax for a painless 45 minute selling process. Slightly above Blue Book Value, check in-hand. I took a cab to a train (which broke down, delaying me another hour) to a bus. I had forgotten how sensitive my stomach is to jerky motions on a bus or train and I got sick on the sidewalk as soon as I got off the bus (a truly New York moment) and then was sick all night, too. Not an ideal situation the day before starting my new job. Welcome to the ups and downs of a public transit girl's life.  

The one saving grace of last night was that my dear friend, Mark, is in town rehearsing for a show and he is staying only a few blocks away. We used to spend a lot of time together when we worked on The Full Monty. And when I saw him yesterday, despite my queasy stomach, I was grinning from ear to ear. And despite the fact that I haven't seen him in 4 years, we picked up our friendship right where we left off. Laughing and talking with the ease of old friends. 

Visiting with Mark reminded me about beginnings and endings and cycles in our lives. I used to think that I've had three constants in my life in recent years: my cell phone number, my mom, and my car. Now, I've traded in that car for a subway card (and a hefty supply of Dramamine). That leaves me with my cell number and my mom, both of which I am glad to have. And my time with Mark reminded me of all those people who have made such a difference in my life, even if I don't get to see them all the time. 

Even across distance and time, there are those people who keep cropping up, who stick with us despite the hectic nature of our lives. Just knowing they're out there, that all the memories that we have of them and they have of us keep the best parts of us alive and well, makes each day a little easier to get through. And these people, these angels in my life, seem to re-appear when I need them most. Just when I am setting off on a new adventure, like my new job, or trying to get through an ending. These people keep the cycle going, and consequently keep us moving forward.   

No comments: