Monday, October 13, 2008

Getting quiet

I am a long-time subscriber to Yoga Journal. I read it cover to cover every month. One of my favorite sections is the 10 pose sequence that has a specific focus. This month, the focus is "Inviting Quiet". What can I say? I like a challenge.

I am a talker, a chatty Cathy in some circumstances. On the Myers-Briggs test, a couple of things stand out as truly odd. I am OFF THE CHARTS on extroversion and ambiguity. Give me a situation that is mired in ambiguity and deals with boatloads of people, and I'm as happy as a mouse in a cheese shop. 

I like engaging with people about 95% of my waking hours. And then in the other 5%, I hide away from the world. It's important to note that without that 5% of hiding away from all humanity, that other 95% of the time with them is far less enjoyable. So while this introspection is small in quantity, the quality is critical. Yoga generates this necessary high quality.

I think about this need for quiet, even in the loudest lives, as I make my way to work each morning. There is a very short walk from my office building to my subway line. It's not pretty, but I use it to center myself at the start and end of my day. It's my gateway between my working life and my personal life. It is especially important in this churning economy to spend some time getting quiet, calming down our nerves, and turning inward to remind ourselves of what's important. Getting quiet, at least for a short time, may be our only avenue through the noise all around us.   

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Great comment Christa about the importance of that 5%. I am so much the same way, and when I need alone time, it is serious alone time. No matter how much I like you or love you, it's the time when I really mean Please Leave Me ALONE.

Christa said...

Hi Maureen,
Thanks so much for your comment. It is amazing how much peace a little quiet can bring to our lives and how much richer it can make the rest of our experiences! I checked out your Flickr site - very cool pictures :)

All my best,
Christa