Sunday, October 5, 2008

Keep Calm and Carry On

My friend, Monika, graciously hosts group dinners at her home; a small group of us are hoping to make this a regular event with each of us taking turns with the hosting duties. Yesterday, I went over to Monika's and we were taking turns trading stories about work when I noticed a poster she just had framed. It's reprint of a WWII British propaganda poster that reads "Keep Calm and Carry On". I figured if the British could keep their cool during such tumultuous times, I could certainly do the same. 

At the moment I am feel a fair amount of anxiety, more than I have felt in a long time. A lot to do and not enough time to do it. All day today I've been working, getting things in order, and I have been concentrating on my anxiety trying to figure out how to get it to dissipate. It really is like this knot in the very pit of my stomach, and it's casing my muscles to ache, especially in my shoulders and neck. So I sat for a few minutes on my couch, and concentrated on just breathing, just being. And remarkably I felt better despite that I hadn't gotten any further along than I was 5 minutes before.      

I realized how much time and energy I was spending being frustrated and irritated. How much effort I was putting into my disappointment. And it was clouding my ability to see this tremendous opportunity for growth and change that was being laid at my feet. Challenging situation, yes. Impossible to get through, of course not. It's a moment when I am rising to my potential and then some. And that is something to be grateful for, if only I can remember to "Keep Calm and Carry On". I just ordered my poster. Get yours at:  http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=32036    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is great, i just ordered one for myself -- to put up in the office. anxiety is rampant. you are taking a good approach to stay focused and overcome.