Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Junior Achievement - Ethics Class 2

I was considerably less nervous for my second week teaching Business Ethics and Corporate Social Responsibility at the High School for Finance and Economics. Maybe it’s because I knew the students (at least a little). Maybe it’s because I knew where the building was and which classroom was mine. Whatever the reason, I was able to manage my time better and improvise a bit more with a greater deal of success.

What I found most interesting is that the students are thinking about ethics all the time, they just don’t have the term for it. Some students who did not speak up at all and were disruptive to the class in the first session were more engaged in the discussion this second time. One in particular is showing a lot of promise. Last time he had no interest in ethics and this time he was leading the classroom in some very profound statements about the situations we were discussing.

In an effort to get students to see that the subject of ethics is all around them, I have asked each of them to bring an article that deals with an ethical dilemma to our next class. The article can be from any section of the paper, any magazine, or any website. We’ll talk through the articles and see how the students reason through ethical decision making. I’ll let you know how it goes!

No comments: