Wednesday, May 20, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Fear #7 of Entrepreneurship

"Starting my own business will be lonely."

Some times I wake up in a cold sweat: I'm dreaming about being at my desk, starting at my computer's blank screen with nothing to say. And no matter how hard I think about it, I have no words. I can't think of a single thing to write down. That cursor blinks and grows larger and larger at the top of an empty Word document. The fears of a writer!

Starting a business elicits the same kind of fear. When push comes to shove, it's us and our business on one side and the rest of the world on the other. We have to keep ourselves motivated to get up everyday, sit down with ourselves, and get to work. No one is giving us a to-do list or setting goals for us - it's all up to us.

We live in a privileged time - reaching out, making connections, and finding support are just a few clicks away no matter where we are. Hop on Twitter or Facebook. Join any one of the thousands of smaller social networking sites on Ning. Meet-ups are around every corner. And these are just the beginning!

Experts, supporters, partners and customers are within arms reach thanks to all of these new and free communication tools, and they want to help us. Make them a vital and vibrant part of our business, and that fear of loneliness will be a thing of the past.

1 comment:

runner52 said...

FDR once said "we have nothing to fear but fear itself"....it applies to all avenues of life...even starting a business