Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Year of Hopefulness - Time for Me

I am an over-scheduler. I am so worried about missing out on an opportunity that I routinely wear myself out with my scheduling. My sister, Weez, continually tells me that my weekends are busier than my workweek. She's right. I've never learned the art of sitting still.

I marvel at my friend, Ken, who is so capable of carving out time just for himself to do whatever he wants depending on his mood and energy level. I'm so concerned with living up to expectations, put on me by myself and others, that I have a tough time scheduling Me time. And it's critical - it's something I've got to work on getting better at, particularly with my aspirations to start my own business at some point.

The calendar on my Palm is my best friend - it keeps going to the right place at the right time, always prepared. What I need to focus on in the next few months is using it as a tool to get more Time for Me. While I can be flexible if something wonderful arises, I need to make sure I am setting aside some time every week that is not scheduled - some time that is free to take shape based upon what the world has in-store for me and what I'd like to accomplish independent of any other opportunity.

It's the 9th of May and I'm wondering where the first 4 months of 2009 went. I shouldn't be wondering how that happened - my life should feel full but not stuffed. I should feel engaged with life but not overwhelmed by it. And I have the power to change that by putting aside the time to let myself relax, breath, and just be present, right here right now.

2 comments:

Laura said...

This is SO true for so many of us Christa! I loved reading it - I have a difficult time too of carving out space and realizing that it's simply OK to just chill and see whatever comes our way. Thank you for this!

- Laura

Christa said...

Hi Laura! Let's keep each other on track to make sure we're taking time out of our hectic schedules to just be! :)